May 17, 2008

Challenge: One Bag A Month

Since I've begun completely recycling and composting, I've noticed a very obvious benefit: where I would usually end up with at least two full green trash bags to throw in the garbage each month, I now only fill up one plastic grocery bag with trash.*



*That's for a single gal with a cat. That would be harder for a household with more people or a family, so perhaps it would go that it's one grocery bag per person.

I wait and wait and wait for the trash bag to fill up, but it just never seems to happen - it's quite amazing!

This is instant gratification: I can see how much less I am putting in the landfill and I love it.

So this is my goal from now on - no more than one plastic grocery bag of actual trash per month will leave my apartment.



Once you're recycling, composting, etc., you begin to notice the things that are left-over and have to go into the trash bag. This is when you can pin-point some of your actual impact and possibly correct some of your problems...

The challenge for me is my cat - he poops, lol. His poopies are not recyclable, compostable (according to my local authorities), or reusable (as far as I know).

Although I'm sure George's super poopies could somehow be turned into some powerful fuel, I've yet to discover how, so until then, I have no choice but to trash them.



I don't feel horrible about this because I'm sure, being poopies, they can easily biodegrade back into the earth, but there are two remaining trash culprits I don't feel so good about:

Plastics. Certain food wrappers, product packaging, etc.

I can certainly decrease these by buying less food with non-recyclable packaging, though things like my All Bran Bars and Crispy Delights will be hard to get over.



As for product packaging, I rarely purchase anything as it is and the majority of what I do purchase is stuff I need. What would be the best solution there?



Cigarette Butts.



Those chemical laden little buggers are a big problem that I feel bad for perpetuating. They are not recyclable or compostable and they do a real number on the land and water.



Since discovering this information, I no longer throw my butts on the street when I'm finished smoking (which has caused me to notice the need for alot more public ashtrays). I currently extinguish and stick my butt in my purse until I get home.



Now, keeping said butts in a secure trash bag rather than on the streets does go a long way toward helping the problem, but there must be even better solutions.

(Yes I realize not smoking at all would be the best solution, but that in itself is another long post/story that will eventually be tackled)

So there we have it. One bag a month is the new rule.

Are you up for that challenge too?

-Love Marylin.

1 comment:

Marylin Houle said...

It is now the start of a new month and I have yet to completely fill up last month's garbage bag!